Random Thought Bubbles

Ramblings on of someone still finding the way

I've just spent most of the last two days either trying to get through the selective presentation that my group did up this morning (which didn't go down too well, what with the complete blurness of the collective four of us when Thani was asking questions and my brain just giving me a cartoon picture of a 'flat' baby and refusing to compute when he asked us what it means when the nurse says, "Dr. we have a flat baby" and the going back and forth of slides because the other members didn't tell me they wanted to delete some slides beforehand... no, it wasn't smooth at all... but that's all in the past now so moving on :P) and watching season one of 'Scrubs'. At first it was entertaining (and it still is periodically when there's a funny moment that stands out from the constant sarcasm every doctor seems to exude) but watching episode after episode of the same kind of funny can, frankly, get quite boring. But it got me thinking...

I've just spent the last 2 years or so in med school. What do I know about medicine and patients and diseases and treating them? Jack-squat. When a medical term comes up in a scene I struggle to even remember what it represents. Cheyne-stokes breathing, ERCP (I can't remember what that means or even if that's the right abbreviation besides it being some radio-imaging thing from a slide in some lecture note from the GI system)... all just fragments of the obvious medical universe that I'm hopelessly drowning in. Then there comes the episode when they get their first death. It's frightening that something I do or didn't do will one day literally kill a person(s, inevitably).

What am I doing here? I study only when there's an exam and barely do well, I can't remember most of what's in lectures after I go through them for an exam, don't go for lectures (only appearing when there's 'important' issues like making announcements for dance club things or other extra-curricular activities or just to return something to somebody and only when it's absolutely necessary :P), spend too many days (and nights) galavanting as a care-free 21-year-old who's got nothing better to do than mamaking and planning the next themed surprised party (there are definitely too many people I know who are born at the beginning of the year) and the list trails on forever. Shouldn't I be worried about the people whom I will be treating in the future? Shouldn't I be in the endless and heated pursuit for knowledge? Somewhere I might read something that might save a person? I feel as if my brain is still a completely clean slate on which nothing remotely medical has even been permanently inscribed. Nothing. I still feel like a layman. The only lesson I've learnt is if you don't know something just keep talking, somewhere along the line one of the many chunks of rubbish will stick and be right. Of course you gotta be a smart crapper. Better a smart bum than a stupid bum anyday. No dice if you're with a toughie who'll just mow you down like the ignorant parasite that you are. I struggle to believe that one day I might be a doctor. One who'll know exactly what to do. I'll just keep on dreaming. I wouldn't even want to be a patient of me.

I don't know how these people stuff so much information into one brain. We should be built with hard drives. But then again life would be so much easier if we were built like computers. Need to remember a gazillion gigabytes of information? No problemo Mr. Supremo, just move it all in here... Click and draaaaggg... yep, it's all there, sugar. Lost a love? Please click to highlight, please press delete and please press OK to confirm that you want to erase the memory of this person forever. Oh, and remember to empty your recycle bin.

The new batch of fresh meat is coming in. M1/06 will be undergoing orientation next Monday (theme: There's a rumble in the jungle? or is it Welcome to the Jungle... I'm not quite sure... there are two banners). I'm looking forward to 'training' another IMCC. Haha! It's always interesting to see how these boys become so uncomfortable when I teach them how to 'dance' and finally them actually getting their own 'groove'. Although it gets a little disturbing when IMCCs have a hotter set of legs than I do. SailorVenus looked so good in drag I was jealous, but enough of that. I'm also looking forward to a trip to JB this weekend with the girls. Drinking part-ay it is baby! Woo-Hoo!

Back to 'Scrubs' and my sad lowly existence as a below par, procrastinating, can't quite be bothered med student life.

0 comments: